The social media landscape is about to experience a different turn as Meta is set to introduce a “Twitter rival”, called Threads. Threads is set to launch on Thursday even as many Twitter users become even more disgruntled with the way Twitter has been managed since Elon Musk took over.
During the weekend, Mr. Musk implemented restrictions on the number of tweets that users could access when using the app. This action was taken in response to other companies engaging in “scraping,” a process where they extract data from Twitter. Consequently, Twitter users began encountering notifications indicating that they had surpassed their “rate limit,” which rendered the app unusable after a brief period of time spent browsing posts. As a result, numerous Twitter users experienced frustration.
What will the Thread App Be Like?
Meta’s chief product officer, Chris Cox, provided employees with an exclusive preview of the company’s upcoming Twitter competitor last month. The app will leverage Instagram’s existing account system, allowing users to bypass the inconvenience of filling out their information. If you already possess an Instagram account, you’re all set—the new app will seamlessly transfer your username and other details.
Previously, the platform was shrouded in secrecy under the codenames “Project 92” and “Barcelona,” but it now boasts an official name: Threads. However, be careful not to mistake it for the unrelated Threads that ceased operations in 2021.
During the meeting, Cox emphasized that Meta is attentive to the desires of creators and public figures who seek a platform that is “properly managed.” He further stated that the app strives to provide a “secure, user-friendly, and dependable” environment, serving as a reliable space for creators to establish and expand their audiences.
Features of the App “Threads”
From what we figured, this is how Thread will be used
- Seamless Integration: You can use your existing Instagram account and keep your username, eliminating the need for creating new logins for yet another app.
- Utilize Instagram’s Userbase: With over two billion active users on Instagram, Thread leverages this vast community, allowing you to connect with familiar faces effortlessly.
- Easy Account Discovery: You can easily find and follow the same accounts you do on Instagram, maintaining your established connections (unless you prefer a fresh start).
- Engage in Conversations: Start connecting with others through conversations, known as “threads,” and enjoy meaningful interactions on the app.
- Control Your Privacy: Choose who sees your posts by deciding whether to show them to anyone, only to profiles you follow, or exclusively to those mentioned.
- Streamlined User Interface: Thread offers a user-friendly interface, ensuring a smooth and enjoyable experience while navigating the app.
- Consolidated Experience: Say goodbye to managing multiple social media apps and enjoy a consolidated experience by combining Instagram’s features with Thread’s unique offerings.
- Stay Up-to-Date: Keep track of the latest updates and conversations happening within your network, providing an engaging and dynamic experience.
- Simplified Sign-Up Process: By utilizing your existing Instagram account, the sign-up process becomes quick and straightforward, getting you started in no time.
Threads logo – What Does it Look Like?
At a quick glance, the Threads application icon may appear as a squiggle. However, upon closer inspection, it becomes evident that it actually represents an ‘@’ symbol, reminiscent of Twitter’s icon. Interestingly, it seems to draw inspiration from the Instagram logo as well, with a slightly square shape and a circular center. It also appears that there’s a camera just at the center of the logo